Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I Must Abandon The Goldwater's Oracle

This will mark my last post on The Goldwater's Oracle, and my last post on any blog as "TheGoldwater".

For the last month or so, I have been immersing myself in Ramesh Ponnuru's "The Party of Death". While I have been ardently-- even voraciously -- pro-life for as long as I can remember (at least going back to 14 or so-- that's 21 years), this book has shone a light for me in understanding the larger "life issues" associated with abortion, euthanasia, embryo destruction, the death penalty, and all the issues that surrounded it.

Mr. Ponnuru has done an outstanding job laying out a foundation of reason for the pro-life reason. Not religious, not emotional, not ideological, but a basis of reason grounded in analysis and fact. Where my past position was largely an emotional repulsion to abortion (and euthanasia, embryo destruction, etc.), it now has an intellectual component that was missing before.

This is not the first shift in my position "rightward" on life issues. At one time, I was an ardent supporter of the death penalty. But I came to see that it was incongruous to oppose the state-sanctioned killing of the weak while heartily endorsing the state-enforced killing of the guilty, and so I marked the first shift in my position.

Now, understanding in a rational manner the absolute horror that is America's 20th century genocide, I find it incongruous to post under the nom de plume a name that recalls a conservative who endorsed liberal abortion laws, and whose wife worked long and hard as a member of Planned Parenthood.

You can read me over at Gundpowder Chronicle, whre I will be posting on all the same issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home